Join us at Cottenham Village Green on Saturday 12th August (11am-2pm) to discover local wildlife and find out how you can support our much-loved species! The event is family-friendly and all the activities are FREE as our project is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
* LEARN from the experts on hand to showcase the wildlife that’s living in the local area.
* ENJOY tailor made talks, table-top displays and hands-on activities.
* TALK to wildlife organisations and local groups who’ll be sharing their ongoing work to support wildlife within Cambridgeshire.
We will be joined by:
|Cambridgeshire Mammal Group
|Cambridgeshire County Moth Recorder
|Local wildlife expert and guide David Chandler
|Local Co-Op Member Pioneer for Cottenham, Willingham and Longstanton
|(Historian) David Maile (of the WakeHereward Project) with Rory Gibson as Hereward (the Wake)
|Cottenham Village Society
|Wild Thyme & Embers
|The Wandering Yak, Middle Eastern and North African inspired street food van
|Fen End Farm- with organic apple juice for sale
|Other stalls TBC!
* 12pm: Tree ID walk – Discover which trees grow on the Village Green and how to identify them.
* 1pm: The WakeHereward Project will be performing a live talk and theatre performance about Hereward the Wake – was he a Fenland hero or villain? Join us to find out!
* Paracord bracelet making workshops with Wild Thyme & Embers
* 7pm on Friday 11th August at the Old Recreation Ground off Broad Lane (grid reference: TL 44719 68454) & 8am on Saturday 12th: The Cambridgeshire Mammal Group will be setting up small mammal traps then opening them in the morning. Come down to the Old Rec at those times to learn more!
Location of main event: Cottenham Village Green, Cottenham, CB24 8TX.
Grid reference: TL 44810 67101. What3words: impact.sensitive.slowness
This Open For Nature day is brought to you by the team at New Life on the Old West. It is one of a number of local events designed to celebrate and champion local wildlife right on the doorstep of fenland communities.