Looking back to face forward – what does 2023 hold for the Tithe Barn in Landbeach?
This year our charity celebrates its 5th anniversary and it is a big reminder of how far we have come from very modest beginnings. However, in January 2020 few would have predicted the level of disruption we all soon would experience. Covid had of course an impact on our twin quests; to improve the barn for the local community and to secure its future. We had been lucky to conclude over £¼ millions-worth of timber frame and thatching improvements to the building just before the outbreak of the epidemic and the consequent restrictions on our activities.
After 2 years of limited activity, 2022 had already started to be busy with visitors and volunteers enjoying the barn and its environment at various events. In the last year we have achieved major improvements through the installation of our eco toilets, constructing another bench and our first tree planting session (more to follow). In addition we also leased the adjacent pasture which now provides enhanced car parking whilst still permitting grazing by our local farmer’s cows. Overall we are now able to host more events and it is now easier to hire the barn for DIY family celebrations, office outings, team building sessions or own events etc. If you are interested, do contact us to discuss your ideas – firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 07902 91524.
For 2023 we have a number of aims, which include:
- recruiting new Trustees who will bring additional useful skills and passion for heritage
- increasing our volunteer team to better support events and education
- further tree and shrub planting around the eco toilets and our wider strip of land during this winter
- developing a diverse events programme – to be published before Easter i.e. the start of the season when the barn opens its doors to the Public
- developing plans to sympathetically integrate further essential infrastructure (water and electricity supply, including low energy lighting) and undertaking the necessary fundraising that will enable us to make these improvements
- examining and if needed, raising concerns about the potential adverse impacts of the A10 road improvements and the proposed Waterbeach to Cambridge busway
- upgrading our finance and admin systems and updating our website
- connecting more with local people and organisations.
We are looking forward to welcome both Trust members and our local community to our evening AGM on Thursday 18 May 2023 at which we will be outlining the future for the barn – details and speaker etc nearer the time.
It was some 10 years ago that we started the quest to build on the sterling work of the Landbeach Society and continue the rescue of the barn to benefit the local community (see the article in this e-News on the role of the Landbeach Society). Lively discussions in the village hall as well a village questionnaire reinforced the view that the barn was worth saving. As we start 2023 we all can be proud of the work and effort that now means that the barn is once again structurally sound and ready for the next stage in its long history. The Trust could not have done this without you so a big ‘thank you’ to you all for having made this a reality!
Interim Chair – Tithe Barn Trust